Re: [guide-user] Re: Phobos transit in Guide

Luc Desamore Sep 5, 2013

Hi Bill,

There is well a three days error in the Nasa News when they said that the transit took place on Aug 17.
It is proved by the caption of their own raw image.

This image was taken by Mastcam: Right (MAST_RIGHT) onboard NASA's Mars rover Curiosity on Sol 369 (2013-08-20 07:12:27 UTC).

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?rawid=0369MR1502000817L1_DXXX&s=369

Without Guide, I would not have realize that.

The comparison looks pretty good, there is indeed a 1m15s différence in time.
And a slight rotation of the image (from Phobos or the camera ?).

Look at the updated jpeg file "eclipse_phases.jpg" in the Yahoo group files.

This latter includes an accurate position of Curiosity measured on :
http://mars.nasa.gov/msl/images/MSL_TraverseMap_Sol0369-full.jpg

Note that the JPL horizons does not include an updated position of Curiosity.
The JPL position is 137°24' E  4°30' S
Actual position on aug 21th  is 137°25'58.5" E 4°35'59.5"

Luc