Re: [guide-user] New TLE downloading

s.kranz1@comcast.net Mar 1, 2005

I made an account at Space Track and have been pulling TLE files off there for the last month and a half and they seem to work great!

I download the GEO, SPECIAL INTEREST, and VISIBLE files about once a week. The only change I have to make it that they are TXT files. I just rename them to TLE files and have no problems.

They don't have a CLASSIFIED file like McCant's site had. To get the NOSS TLE's I go to Heavens Above and do a search on the 9 different designations and make my own TLE file.

-Scott Kranz
Hi folks,

I've posted a patch for Guide's satellite element (TLE, "two-line
element") download function. When you click on Settings... TLE=, you
will be presented with somewhat different (and more restricted) options.
Download this file:

http://www.projectpluto.com/tle.hee

into your Guide folder, replacing the one that is already present.
Links to the previous TLEs (from Mike McCants's and Tony Beresford's
sites) have been replaced with new links.

As you will see when clicking on Settings... TLE=, we are not
_completely_ without options, even if you reject space-track.org's
licensing agreement. Celestrak continues to provide elements for
a variety of satellites. NASA provides ISS elements, but they don't
load automatically in Guide, because leading spaces have been added.
(I intend to fix Guide to overlook this oddity). Elements for
classified objects are still available. (It seems odd that we can
get elements for US reconnaisance satellites, but not for pieces of
discarded rocket boosters!) And the last 'mccants.tle' from 10 Feb
2005 is still available.

I may also revise Guide to download _all_ the Celestrak files and
combine them into a "poor man's alldat.tle". But I'm not sure if
this is a worthwhile effort, since I assume Celestrak will also get
clobbered by the new restrictions.

-- Bill

To unsubscribe from this group, send an empty email to:

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: