Re: [guide-user] Re: Guide substitute for Mac: Crossover/Wine

Christian Ambros Nov 21, 2013

 Hi Bill.

crossover ist the third fork of wine starting with winex over cedega to crossover. The aim was to get a wine version for games and programs with include graphics acceleration and support for active-x- applications but the game industry turn it's back on active-x because OpenGL ever had no alternatives. Since Msoft did free the information on it's active-x stuff, cedega went down because it can't give more than what was allready suited from wine. Wine evolved and made cedega and other forks obsolete. crossover is basicaly more a virtual machine than an emulator, so the same issues apply.
You are right in recommending wine as the best solution so for. But in future there coud be a solution in tranfering some code to python3 and doing some crosscompiling for the main calculation parts, because python as a wrapper/script-language uses itself c++ implementations for the math. So that's why it isn't slower than c++. But the scripting cabablities and it's os independence makes it suitable for today's and future use of OS'.
You once gave me the advice of doing pre-calculations of positions for the next zoom-out level, magnitudes and objects out of the field of view. I'm still working on some parts, but if I don't change the view completely like positioning a new object, it's near realtime zooming oder changeing magnitudes due the use parallel working cpu cores. It was rough getting there but it turned out that python3 has very good libs to do that. A second thing, that came in handy was transfering the catalogs into a mysql databank which is cabable of using quarries in nearly realtime aswell. UCAC4 was well included.

The crashing C L describes happend's to me, too but on my second, rather old laptop which is running our camera. The ram is limited to 2Gb and when ram, swap space and chache are running out of space ucac4 handles start crashing when in wine use. I think it's an issue of memory handling in wine, but I couldn't get out any error messages.

cheers,
Christian

--
"A little learning never caused anyone's head to explode!"

"Ein wenig Lernen hat noch niemandens Kopf zum Explodieren gebracht!"

On Thursday, November 21, 2013 6:34 PM, Bill Gray <pluto@...> wrote:

On 11/21/2013 08:42 AM, C L wrote:

> I've used Crossover, and in it's latest version (XIII) , Guide
> works just perfect with no performance or UI issues.

Haven't tried Crossover myself. I gather it has some tweaks
not just for OS/X, but just to get certain commonly-used Windows
apps (Office, Photoshop, etc.) to work properly. For Guide,
those tweaks shouldn't matter; you can run with "plain old Wine"
and it'll work without trouble.

But Crossover may get you an easier installation and may let
you run things aside from Wine. And since Crossover has given
generously to the Wine project, I won't argue against sending
some money their way.

> The only issue i still have is using UCAC4 as user dataset -
> it crashes, (seems to read the zXXX files but crashes when
> writing de temporary txt file).

Hmmm... hadn't heard of this one. It may not be Wine or
OS/X related; it sounds so specific that I'd think it could be
a bug in Guide or a defect in the UCAC4 files. You might try
zooming in on a totally different part of the sky, thereby
getting data from completely different UCAC4 files, to see if
this is an area-dependent issue.

-- Bill