Real Sky

Roy Diffrient Aug 13, 2013

Some months ago there was a brief discussion here about getting the Real Sky CD-ROM set to work with Guide on Windows 7/8. Real Sky works fine via Guide on Win XP, but Microsoft “improved” later Windows versions by eliminating small disk data chunks, and as a result Win 7 does not recognize the Real Sky CD’s. The proposed fix was to copy the CD’s onto a USB drive using an XP machine, and transfer the files to a new disc on a Win 7 machine. Unfortunately I found that when the files were ready to copy onto a new disk, the total size had somehow expanded so that they no longer fit on a CD-R (over 800 MB vs. about 650 MB capacity). I then tried copying to a DVD. That also didn’t work, Guide 9 doesn’t produce any Real Sky images – Instead I get a message to re-insert the Guide CD. Doing that apparently does nothing. So, has anyone managed to get Real Sky disk images via Guide 9 on a Win 7/8 machine, and if so, how?

Thanks,
Roy Diffrient