Re: [guide-user] Guide 9 - Representation of meteor showers

Bernd Brinkmann Jul 8, 2013

Hello Alfredo,

the information you are seeing / searching for are in an ASCII file called
"meteor.dat" in the Guide 9 subfolder "text".

Mine is dating from Nov. 30th 2011. So any meteor stream discovered afterwards
can't be included.

But I think you can edit this file with a simple text editor (not Word) after
making a copy of it. This can be done with many other ASCII files of Guide.

So when you have the data you can include them into this file or correct the
existing ones. The content of the columns are described at the very end of the
file. A more detailed explanation of the content of "meteor.dat" (also what is
shown using "more info") is given at the end of the file "cd_data_2.tdf" in the
section "file !:\text\meteor.dat".

I hope this information is useful for you.

> I verified, by searching by Guide 9 with the command "Go to TDF.Object -
> Meteor Showers IMO", that are not included various meteor showers
> taken from the list IMO used as reference in Guide 9!
>
> Examples:
>
> *Northern Daytime omega Cetids (NOC) - Results: Object Not Found.*
>
> Same results ( object not found) for the following meteor shower:
>
> *- The shower Eta Lyrids (ELY)**
>
> - April rho Cygnids (ARC),
>
> - Comet Halley Age Aquariids (EAQ),
>
> - The annual Northern June Aquilids (NZC)*
>

> and so on .
>
> Also, if I try to find, with the command "Go to TDF.Object - IMO Meteor
> Showers",
> the meteor indicated by the following name:
>
> *Southern Daytime omega Cetids (OCE) *
> *
> when I type " OCE " , Guide 9 gives this result: " *Radiant** of Meteor
> Shower
> Omikron-Centaurids IMO (International Meteor Organization) acronym: OCE* ".
>
> What are the reasons for this?
>
> However, I suggest finding the ability to make these data upgradeable regard
> to the periodic updates of the list of meteor showers that is to be
> accordingly amended or supplemented!
>
> Note: Links used by the undersigned:
>
> * http://cams.seti.org/maps.html
> * http://www.arm.ac.uk/~dja/shower/codes.html