Re: [guide-user] Using OpenGL for object display.

Christian Ambros Oct 27 1:01 PM

Hi Bill,

thanks for the answer. Maybe I wasn't that clear about why I brought up OpenGL. I have to write a telescope controlling software which displays objects for my masters thesis in computer science. They want me to move displaying objects to the gpu's to get the multicore cpus free for calculations. This is the speed up I was talking about in the use of OpenGL.

I know that all fast moving objects need special treatment and that they slow down single threat programs. I also know that the number of objects shown plus a wider area for quick zoom speeds up with lesser numbers of objects. This is essential for high viewing angles and high magnitudes as well, because the greater the angle/magnitude the more objects have to be calculated.

So they want me to finde a way to speed up this process. Making the calculations parallel and splitting them up on multicore cpus requires special decisions what part of the catalogs should be calculated in which cpu core.

My question was, if you have some experience with using OpelGL for such a task and what would be your advise in this case. There are some guidelines I have to stick to. Using Linux is the first one, using multithreating, and segmentation two others, using multiple gpus the third...
Because I like Guide so much and you have done a very good job making guide to the best and precisest program on the market, I was interested in your opinion about using OpenGL in my case.

cheers,
Christian.

Ps. Because I'm running Guide with the technical possible limit of the telescope and under linux with wine I didn't had any trouble with slowness, but my supervisor doesn't like the rebuild when one chances something.

--
"A little learning never caused anyone's head to explode!"

"Ein wenig Lernen hat noch niemandens Kopf zum Explodieren gebracht!"