Re: [guide-user] Crashes when adding asteroids

Bill J Gray Jul 11, 2012

Hi Christian,

> what's odd to me is, that those three links [to MPCORB subsets]
> in question work pretty well with wine under linux.

I had success with it much of the time, too. It was _possible_
for those links to result in a buffer overrun. But not guaranteed,
and if the chunk of memory overwritten wasn't in use by something else,
you'd be okay. So the problem would be intermittent on any operating
system.

I do find that one big benefit of trying software out in both Wine/Linux
and in "normal" Windows is bug detection. A bug that doesn't cause a crash
right away on (say) Windows may cause a crash in Wine, or vice versa. Such
a bug is usually still a for-real bug on both OSes.

Often, if somebody reports a bug that I'm unable to reproduce on my
Windows box, I try it under Wine. This makes some "unreproducible bugs"
suddenly "reproducible".

-- Bill