Magnitudes

wa1vta01452 Jun 5, 2012

Bill,

Two issues...

First,

please confirm that I'm generating the MPCORB.DAT for Guide to ingest the critical list properly:

1. I download daily.dat from the MPC and copy the text using notepad
2. I open the neam00.txt file using notepad
3. I leave the header alone and paste the daily.dat information below it.
4. I save the file as MPCORB.DAT

Second question:

I see that by right-clicking on the object and requesting "more info", the absolute magnitude is parsed directly from the second column of the daily.dat file. How is the asteroid ACTUAL magnitude (the first line of "more info") calculated? Is it a calculation using the present distance of the asteroid from earth?

Thanks,
Tom