Re: unusually bright asteroid/update

Bill J Gray May 4, 2012

Hi Gerhard,

I was about to reply, "_That's_ strange... the bug is
definitely fixed." And it is (and I'm pretty sure it's the
same bug that Lawrence is reporting.)

However, your post caused me to realize that it's not
enough just to apply the update. There will still be a cached
file that contains the wrong data. To persuade Guide to
re-build that file correctly, the simplest thing to do is
to download a new 'mpcorb.dat' file. (Clay has probably done
just that; that's why he's not seeing these bizarrely bright
asteroids.) When Guide sees that the new 'mpcorb.dat' doesn't
match the one it was using, it'll rebuild various files,
including the one that has some H=0.15, G=0 objects.

If you don't want to download a new 'mpcorb.dat', you can
go to Extras... Asteroid/Comet Options. If the check-box for
"Show All Asteroids" is checked, un-check it. Then set the
number of asteroids shown to, say, 100 (meaning only the first
hundred numbered asteroids will be shown).

This will cause Guide to re-build the mangled file. Then
you can go back to Extras... Asteroid/Comet Options, and set
things back the way you had them.

-- Bill