Mysteries.....

Lawrence Apr 19, 2012

I have been using Guide(-8) without any problems other than the minor
hiccups regarding quasar display recently discussed. I have had an
amazing event happen today. Only yesterday evening I was checking on
galaxy location etc as usual, and there were no problems.

This morning I started the program as usual - but it told me Guide was
missing from the CD-drive.... After some further checks I copied
guide.dat and startup from my observatory computer, only to find that
masses of settings have been changed beyond recognition! The toolbars
had disappeared so I re-instated them. The CCD display was now reading
for a different focal length scope (!) and a different CCD camera (!)
and different settings as well.

The grids came on set to 1 minute (I have grids off but set to 1 hour!)
etc etc.

I have no idea how this might have happened. I decided to go to my last
computer backup (external drive) only to find that it appears to be an
incremental backup and I cannot locate the original guide folder
(grrrr). It may take some time to reinstate all the settings but I would
love to know what actually caused this (overnight while the laptop was
off!).

One thought has occurred to me; the last event last night was a crash
with a different program. Hmmmmm.

Lawrence