Re: [guide-user] DSS images from the web

Bill J Gray Sep 30, 2010

Hi Konstantin,

Ouch! Nicely caught. I'm very surprised that this bug hadn't
turned up before.

A while back, somebody (might have been you?) pointed out that
Guide had trouble if there were more than 1000 DSS downloads,
because it stored them as four-digit files '0000.fit' through
'0999.fit'. I'd made two errors: that first digit never got
used, and I was working in base 10.

I revised the code to use A-Z as well, so that we'd be
working in base 36 and could have 36^4 = 1.6 million files.
But I noticed you had three-digit file names; that caused me
to realize that, in some cases, a character could get left
out, and you'd see the issue you report. Yet another case of
"fixing a bug creates, on average, 1.1 new bugs". (Well,
one hopes to make it, on average, less than one bug, so
the series converges to zero. But sometimes, it does feel as
if the series is exponentially divergent.)

This will be fixed in the next update I post. In the meantime,
if you edit the file 'ifile' in your Guide folder, and make the
first four characters 0000, all should be well.

-- Bill