Re: [guide-user] Re: Guide on netbook

Bill J Gray May 14, 2009

Hi Siebren,

This has come up a few times in recent months, probably due
to the increased popularity of netbooks. I probably ought to write
up something about it on the Web site.

Guide is a little unusual in that you can just copy the Guide
folder. I deliberately avoided putting things into the system registry,
and the DLLs used in Guide are kept in the Guide folder, avoiding
"DLL Hell". I am regularly grateful that I set things up that way.
I was just trying to keep things simple; I'd not thought about
transferring the program between machines.

"...My version takes only 600 MB, so you probably have installed
more options..." Most likely, you've installed the first CD only.
One can install the second disk, winding up with about 1.3 GBytes.
Or, when installing to the hard drive (Extras... Install to Hard
Drive), one can pick "Minimum Install". Exactly how much space will
then be consumed varies a bit, but it'll usually be only a couple of
dozen megabytes. (And the program's functionality will be quite basic.)

-- Bill