Re: WDS and Guide

duble.stars Jan 31, 2007

There is indeed something wrong.

Going to PRZ 6AB , it goes, but neither star nor labels are plotted.

Fiddling and tweaking the tdf, like removing sort, and changing toler
values

Aha! It seems the simple answer is to change sort 1 to sort 0!!!

WDS isn't quite sorted exactly, nearly, but not quite, especially if
Bill's little executable program is run to fill in the empty J2000
coordinates for the lost objects. The toler command looks after that,
or used to, it appears to not quite weigh in right in this case.

Probably a good idea to put # in front of the t in toler. That is if
there's toler used in the 2005 tdf.

A vaguely remember that over the years Bill has improved the inherent
handling of unsorted and the like files such that toler might not
quite be needed anymore, maybes there's a conflict. Dunno.

Meanwhile, download this

http://ad.usno.navy.mil/wds/wdsweb_summ.txt

read this about putting back in the empty coords

http://www.projectpluto.com/extras.htm#WDS

downloading and running the proggie in dos against wdsweb_summ.txt
(remember to back up first, just in case) and then this TDF should
work fine with the latest slightly upgraded again WDS 2006.5 (notice
I've called it wds.dat and stored it in the Guide directory, you've to
rename the words after the first line in the tdf if you call it
something else).

Cut and paste the following into an ascii editor and save in the Guide
directory as WDS.tdf or WDS2006p5.tdf if you prefer.

You shouldn't have to mess about with vooodooo to get labels now.

Actually, toler shouldn't matter, but the WDS being nearly sorted,
containing more than one object of the exact same position at times,
and the like seems to cause vagaries, and just ditching toler and sort
1 being ditched or set to 0 fixes these, but on older slower machines
this might mean some plotting up of the screen might be slowed down a
bit for wide fields if doubles are displayed.

Something like that. Put it this way, it fixed the problem, even if I
don't really understand why! ;) I can now see PRZ 6AB and AC again,
even if they probably don't really exist.

Cheers

John

-------starts next line----------
file wds.dat