Re: [guide-user] Spurious stars in UCAC-2 and A2.0

Bill J Gray Aug 30, 2005

Hi Bertrand,

I think such a thing might be quite useful in UCAC-2. (Attempting to
clean up A2.0 would be a somewhat monumental task!)

I'd like to see a good system for reporting errata in UCAC. This would
not be limited to spurious stars; it would include a way to indicate such
things as these (imaginary) situations:

UCAC 12345678 is spurious;
UCAC 12345679 is the same star as the variable ZZ Cyg;
UCAC 12345780 is the double star component STF 2498 A;
UCAC 12345781 is the double star STF 2499 (that is, this UCAC entry includes
_both_ components; the star was not resolved);
UCAC 99000001 is a star at thus-and-such RA/dec with thus-and-such magnitudes,
given a UCAC number high enough to indicate that it's an "added" star.

...and so on, in a simple format usable by anyone: a standardized way to
correct existing stars in UCAC and to add ones that were omitted.

I don't see this as being a Guide-related issue, except in the sense that
I want Guide (and other programs) to be able to make use of the list.

As you may be able to tell, I've been pondering this issue a bit. It will
become more important when the final, all-sky version of UCAC is released
(at which point all forms of GSC will become obsolete.)

-- Bill