Status of my RS 232/USB problem

rfpoklar Mar 19, 2005

First, I thank all who are trying to help me.
My set up is a 600 mhz, celeron, laptop using Windows ME. My scope
is not yet on a pier with a wedge.I'm running the LX200 (on a
tripod) using ALT/AZ mode via the automatic align mode. I'm assuming
positonal data gets transformed regardless of ALt/AZ or polar
align.I'm not a fan of Windows ME but the laptop came with it.I'll
change it if I have to.
I have performed the following in trying to resolve my problem.
1.I have continuity checked the Meade RS232 portion of the cable
from telephone modular plug to the DB 89 9 pin connector. The meade
supplied DB89 (9 pin)has only three pins for RX, TX, and GND. they
appear to be wired properly.
2.The other half of the cable assembly (DB89 to USB)I think has some
buffer electronics imbedded in the the cable but, when plugged into
the computer, its presence is listed under the Device manager as USB
to Serial port (com1).
3. After completing alignment of the LX200 and selecting com1 I have
attempted to communicate via Guide 8 scope pad using both 2400 and
9600 baud rate. I even tried both RS232 modular connectors on the
scope, at different times. Trying to slew guide results in
a "position unread". Trying to slew the scope, from the pad, gives
an error mesage.
4. I downloaded the serial port monitor software. I tried to send a
command #:GL# requesting local time from the LX200. The response I
get back is #:GL# (len 5). Its the same response I get with the
cable unplugged from the RS 232 connector.I think I'm using the
monitor properly but the help instructions with the monitor aren't
real clear to me.
5. The only other ports listed under ports(com & LPT) was the LPT
printer port LPT1. I had printer software for a no longer used
printer. I unistalled that and and selected disable hardware profile.

All indications are that there is no communcation with the RS232
port.I'm somewhat capable with computers but not a walking talking
expert. I still supect the operator may be part of the problem.By
the way, the scope when operated from the paddle control, works very
well.
It's possible there is a defective com chip, but nothing else has
ever been plugged into this port.
I'll keep digging . Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Rudy