Re: [guide-user] Eclipse Finder Problem

Bill J Gray Oct 29 7:29 AM

Hi John,

My apologies; there was one more bug than I counted upon.

As you may recall, I "fixed" the eclipse bug by yanking out a big
chunk of poorly-written code that (I assumed) contained the bug, and
writing it in a clearer fashion (the way I probably ought to have done
from the beginning). This was a Good Idea, and it did cause the bug
to vanish from my machine (at least briefly).

However, I've been able to get the bug to come _back_, and I've
tracked it down and eliminated it. Download

http://home.gwi.net/~pluto/guide8b.zip (about 490 Kbytes)

again, and you should see no eclipse bug. You will also see the
proper date of 29 October in Help... About Guide.

And finally, if you go into Settings... Location and use Enter
Location Name, Guide will be bright enough to show that location on
the title bar. For example, if you do this and enter (say) "04008"
(postal code for Bowdoinham, Maine, corporate headquarters for
Project Pluto), the title bar will read

Guide 8.0 Bowdoinham, ME 04008 2004 Oct 29 14:24:23

Just to review... Enter Location Name can accept such placenames
as:

bowdoinham me (town name and US postal code abbreviation)
sydney (will find the Sydney in Australia)
sydney, canada (will find the Sydney in Canada)
paris, TX (will find the Paris in Texas)
J95 (will find the Minor Planet Center observatory J95)
04008 (will find the US city with postal code 04008)

Which helps out most Guide users, but still leaves a need to tell
Guide: "The location I've entered should be called 'my observing
location'." Then people can maintain a list of assorted locations,
adding and removing them at will. Be advised: yes, I know that
needs to be done, and the above work has been done with that feature
in mind.

-- Bill