Re: [guide-user] Strange green (non-)stars?

Bernd Brinkmann Dec 9, 2003

Hello Truman,

> A strange problem with Guide 8. Whenever the star magnitude limit is set
> at 11.0 or fainter, there are a lot of green star-like images in the star
> fields. Right-clicking on one gives a magnitude (approximately
> corresponding to the image size), followed by "star:0 non-star:1 (or 2)",
> then followed by a GSC number. There is a vertical evenly-spaced string of
> them at RA 02:16 and declination -20 to -23. Setting the magnitude limit
> to 10.9 or brighter causes all of them to disappear.
> Can anyone exlain this and provide a fix?

first I thought it could be a diffraction spike from a bright star. But there is
none near that position. So it can be a scratch on the scanned photo plate, or
a hair, or or or ...

Clear skies
Bernd

Bernd Brinkmann