Re: [guide-user] Landolt file under GUIDE8- Problems with WIN XP

Bill J Gray Nov 25, 2003

Hi Andrea,

Dunno why this isn't working... but I _really_ doubt it's an XP problem.
For Guide, there has been exactly one known XP-related bug: telescope
control over a serial port did not work with Guide 7 and WinXP. And
even that was fixed; with 8.0, there are zero known XP-related issues.

In the absence of an actual "fix", I'll suggest a "workaround" which
is actually an improvement in some ways. Download the following file:

http://www.projectpluto.com/landolt2.zip (about 72 KBytes)

to your Guide directory, and unZIP it there. Guide will then have
a new "Landolt Standards, Revised" option in the Extras... Toggle User
Datasets menu (and in the Go To... Go To .TDF Object menu.)

This combines full photometry, from a file provided by Arne Henden,
with improved positions, from a file provided by Brian Skiff. (The
"original" positions from the Landolt paper have quite a few errors;
Skiff used assorted star catalogs and did a lot of research to determine
which stars Landolt actually meant.)

Assuming I don't get e-mails listing trouble with this new dataset,
I'll add it to the "extras" page on the Web site.

-- Bill