New files to display XZ80Q

Bill J Gray Sep 8, 2003

Hi folks,

Oliver Kloes has supplied some files to enable display of
the new XZ80Q catalog in Guide. This is a successor to the
XZ80P catalog, giving positions/proper motions/magnitudes and
other data for stars near the ecliptic.

http://www.projectpluto.com/extras.htm#xz80q

Be warned that this one's a little trickier to set up than
most user-added datasets. The problem is that the data file,
which is about 45 MBytes uncompressed, isn't sorted in RA
order. You _could_ still display it in Guide that way, and
many smaller datasets are indeed shown unsorted, but having
to read all 45 MBytes each time it redraws the screen would
really slow Guide down horribly.

So instead, I've provided a "sorter" utility that creates
a version in the proper order, and Oliver has set up his files
to use that sorted version. This is not a major step, but
thought I'd best mention that this isn't the usual "download
it and turn it on" sort of dataset. Details are given at
the above URL.

-- Bill