Hour angle definition/sec(z)

Bill J Gray Jun 12, 2003

Hi Dennis,

Stephen is definitely right as to the "standard" definition of
LHA as an always-positive quantity. But your definition appeals to
me; using this, you can look at, say, "-3:14:16" and immediately
know that the object will be transiting in a bit over three hours.
I can't see any benefit in turning this into "20:43:44", i.e.,
"the object transited almost 21 hours ago."

I've therefore revised LHA to run from -12:00:00 to +12:00:00,
instead of from 0:00:00 to 24:00:00. If anyone really prefers the
24:00:00 scheme, please let me know, and I'll add in some sort of
switch for the "standard-definition LHA"... but my guess is that
most people will agree with Dennis; this definition makes sense.

Last night, I added a "second time" check-box to the Legend
dialog. As described in my previous two posts, you click on this
and Guide asks for a time zone; Guide will then show the time
corrected for that zone in the legend, so you can see two different
zones (including "zones" such as Dynamical Time, local sidereal
time, etc.) simultaneously.

I had to pause and think about sec(z). The Legend dialog is
already expanding (and just got bigger by that "second time"
checkbox). I won't be surprised if you're the only user of the
sec(z) option. So rather than add a new "sec(z)" (or "airmass")
checkbox to the Legend dialog, I did this:

Go into the Legend dialog and click on "Add to Caption", and
enter "sec(z)". When the cursor is above the horizon, that text
in the legend will now be replaced by "sec(z)=#.###". As the
cursor moves, the value will be updated, just as the alt/az,
RA/dec, constellation, Uranometria numbers, and other
position-sensitive legend entries are.

All this appears to be working, and will be provided with the
next update I post.

-- Bill