Re: Suggestions for Guide Improvements.

Lawrence Harris Jan 26, 2003

Hello folks

Must add my thoughts to Paulo's comments:

> Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 11:00:28 -0200
> From: "Paulo Cacella" <cacella@...>
>Subject: Suggestions for Guide Improvements.
>
>As a guide user since version 5 I am very happy with the product. And I
>consider, by far, the best Astrosw available. As time goes by, it seems
>to me that some things could be enhanced to maintain pace with other
>products.

I first entered Guide as a version 2 user. I have gradually upgraded,
with few exceptions. I would agree that enhancements would be really
useful - if they were the right ones.

>My point now is the use with a CCD imaging setup. I have some
>suggestions that I believe could make Guide much better as a CCD imaging
>companion. Let´s go...

Unless I have missed something here (!) I am not aware that Guide can do
CCD imaging. If only......

>1 - Be ASCOM compliant to work together with sw like ACP, Maxim
>etc...Abandon the standard link, slew telescope dialogs and go to ASCOM

I am not sure of the consequences of this. I stopped using Guide for
telescope control when I found it clashed with AstroArt that needs the
ports for telescope control. I dislike AA's goto features - Guide is
much better - but still lacking some important features.

snip
>simple script. It seems to me that remote command via internet and
>things like that are for few users and are not really important for a
>standalone observer (the majority of people). It would be a must to
>command a nova or supernova search directly from Guide.

Yes, and yes.

>3 - Generate a list for mosaic expositions. Ex: You define a inclined
>rectangle as an area for targeting a GRB and Guide will generate the
>necessary expositions to build up a mosaic.

Not much use until you can image from Guide. Otherwise you need a
separate imaging program and you then have problems with ports locked to
Guide.

snip
>5 - It seems to me that it would be better to leave Charon in the
>history (Oh no !!! Do not throw stones over my head !!!) and talk with
>Haab to integrate Astrometrica with Guide. It would be a fantastic
>step...This has the advantage of leaving Bill with a "not so broad"
>product and use a shareware that is a must.

By chance, I have just been trying to remember how to set Charon up for
image analysis. When it works, it can be quite good - but I would like
to see Charon turn into a Windows program that analyses the image......

>6 - Integrate Guide with Aladin. In fact it would be great if you use
>Guide as a hub to internet premier astronomy sites like Aladin, xxx
>e-print etc...

Never met the chap.

>7 - Finally...Open Guide for Plug-ins..Example : Sometimes I have a SN
>search and probably I could develop a plugin for this purpose. It seems
>to me that this is a way to aggregate value to Guide without overload
>Bill´s work.
>
>Well, that it is folks...
>

>Paulo Cacella
>
>Visit my site...
>http://www.intermega.com/cacella

Your web site was not available when I tried.....

regards to all, especially maestro Bill.

Lawrence Harris