Re: [guide-user] Ax.0 from the hard drive/tooltips

Arild Moland Nov 27, 2002

Hi Bill,

> I did want to make the behavior more "Windows-like", but I also hoped
> the new tooltips would draw some attention to the functions that can
> be accessed through the legend. I've found the ability to (for example)
> toggle "north up" (RA/dec mode) to "zenith up" (alt/az mode) via a
> single right-mouse click in the compass area to be quite helpful. It's

hmmm, wasn't aware of that. Cool. I've used the legend with left-clicks all the
time for accessing the configuration of various things though. I have found the
legend to be slightly buggy at times, ie. that is doesn't always "catch" my
click. This causes Guide to center the FOV on the spot below the point in the
legend where I clicked. This behaviour seems rather sporadic and random.

A good thing about the legend, is that it adds a legend entry with the symbols
of various objects which are displayed. What is not so cool, however, is that it
does not include _all_ object types. Asteroids are omitted for instance. Also,
the 'object pane' (to give it a name) is not shown when objects of a particular
type is not in the FOV. This is slightly annoying sometimes. Of course, there's
the toolbar button for accessing the same dialog, but still, I'd like the legend
to be "complete".

BTW, I found that right clicking the trails pane in the legend cleared ALL my
trails. Now, an easy way to clear all trails has been a (more or less
subconscious) wish for some time, but perhaps the user should receive a warning?
After all, carefully adding a number of trails to various objects is time
consuming and not something I'd want to have undone without warning.

Lastly, do you have any plans for including support for scroll mouse buttons in
your list dialogs?

Best regards,

Arild :)

http://www.astro.uio.no/~arildmi/Scopes/