Re: Guide's display speed

Mark Huss Sep 20, 2002

--- In guide-user@y..., Arild Moland <arildmi@a...> wrote:
> as stated in appendix A of the manual, Guide accepts RA and Dec
values in
> several formats. Are there performance differences between these
formats?

hi Arild,

Short answer: no

Longer answer:

Doing the mathematical conversion between the
various numerical input formats takes less time
than it takes to take your finger off the mouse
button (or key).

Calculating and plotting all those super accurate
object positions takes a bit more time.

Converting to video format and sending it all to
the screen takes the most time. (Bill: are you
using DirectX?)

Anything involving input and output (I/O) on a
computer will generally take a lot more time than
will any reasonable set of calculations. Disk I/O
is the slowest and most obvious culprit, but it
is true of other I/O as well.

--mark h