Re: [guide-user] Time label of trails

Bernd Brinkmann Aug 30, 2002

Hello Oliver,

I'm doing mostly cometary work. So when I plot a trail I use the time I
want to image the comet with CCD. For many comets I start at the end
of nautical twilight in the evening and I want to finish at the bginning of
nautical twilight in the morning. So I set the time accordingly and don't
have it set automatically to a full hour or midnight.

By the way: which midnight? Local, UT or the middle between end and
beginning of twilight?

> The GUIDE manual recommends the setting of time before making a
> calculation. O.K., you can do this and set the time at GUIDE to a full
> hour or day before making a trail calculation, but would it not be
> better to have a standard with marks at the beginning of an hour/day? I
> think, that's the standard at books and magazines. Without clicking on
> the the time label, you would be able to make a guess about the time of
> the position of the object.
>
> So in my opinion an option to choose between "calculation time" and
> "full day/hour" would be very useful. What are other users of GUIDE
> thinking about this? Was this discussed before at this list?

Clear skies
Bernd, who will be on an observing session the next 1 1/2 week

Bernd Brinkmann
Herne, Germany

http://homepage.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/Bernd.A.Brinkmann/index.html