Doubled asteroids/other asteroid issues

Bill J Gray Aug 18, 2002

Armin, about the doubled asteroids: you can read a bit about this at

http://www.projectpluto.com/faq_curr.htm#double_asteroids

"...Is it possible to update the included Astorb-Datas, date Oct.
24.1998, located in Asteroid\Astreoid. There is a 'mover.bat' in,
but the will move datas which not exist yet."

No. The only real way to get current data is to use MPCORB.DAT;
there's no way provided to update ASTORB.DAT. To read about MPCORB.DAT:

http://www.projectpluto.com/mpcorb.htm

(This is a Guide 7 problem, BTW. Guide 7 came out in late 1998,
and I used the then-current ASTORB. Upgrade to Guide 8, and you'll
get a 2002 version of ASTORB. Of course, it is slowly becoming
outdated, too.)

Tom Kunsitis mentioned the list of asteroids, ready for import into
Guide, at

http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/Ephemerides/Unusual/Soft02Unusual.txt

and Alan Cahill mentioned the MPCORB.DAT database available at

ftp://cfa-ftp.harvard.edu/pub/MPCORB/

Of the two, the latter is slightly preferable, since it evades
that "doubled-asteroid" problem by replacing the entire list of asteroids,
rather than attempting to patch over just a few objects. But both lists
have a flaw: all the elements are for the epoch 6 May 2002, and ignore
perturbations between now and then. For 2002 NY40, ignoring that error
would give you a position wrong by about 12' during last night's close
approach. (There would be an error at other times, too, but less
noticeable.)

As I've mentioned previously, the Right Thing for Guide to do here
would be to numerically integrate the orbit to the current epoch, thereby
giving you a dead-on position... except it doesn't do that yet. Or you
could input the elements I posted a few messages back; these are for 18
Aug 2002, and you would see virtually no error when using these.

MPC _does_ supply orbital elements for NEAs with a more current
epoch. At the above MPCORB ftp site, you can get NEATOD.DAT (elements
with an epoch of today at 0:00 UT) and NEATOM.DAT (elements for the next
day, again at 0:00 UT). Recently, elements for the next few days
(NEA+02.DAT, NEA+03.DAT, etc.) have been added. It was from these
files that I was able to get the "current" 18 Aug 2002 elements that
I posted previously.

These are in the same format as MPCORB.DAT. So you can download
one of these files, and put it in your Guide directory renamed as
MPCORB.DAT, start up Guide, and click on "Extras... Use MPCORB".
Kinda clumsy, I realize. As soon as I get done with putting out
assorted fires, I'll probably return to fixing some of these oddities.

-- Bill