[guide-user] Historic Eclipses

Paul Schlyter Jun 18, 2001

> Reply to : Laren Dart
>
> >> There is another eclipse I've been trying to chase down without
> enough information. 6 or 8 years ago, I was talking on the phone with
> someone at an astronomy SW company (don't remember which) about the
> difficulty of pinning down eclipses. He told me there was "an eclipse which
> was pretty solid because it was observed in 600 from a small island in the
> Caribbean." He didn't say if it was B.C. or A.D. I've looked with Guide,
> but there just isn't enough information. Would you see if it's in
> Stephenson's book?
> Thanks, Larry <<
>
> No it isn't. In AD 600 there were three partial eclipses (none total) and
> in 600 BC there was a total eclipse, but over the Pacific area. (My source
> for those is another planetarium program)

Th.v.Oppolzer's book "Canon der Finsternisse" agrees with this: three
partial eclipses in AD 600, and one total eclipse over the Pacific in
600 BC = -599

Paul Schlyter, Swedish Amateur Astronomer's Society (SAAF)
Grev Turegatan 40, S-114 38 Stockholm, SWEDEN
e-mail: pausch at saaf dot se or paul.schlyter at ausys dot se
WWW: http://hotel04.ausys.se/pausch http://welcome.to/pausch