delta T and historic eclipses

Laren Dart Jun 8, 2001

I'm using Guide for examining ancient eclipses and delta T. I would like to
be able to set an over-all stellar magnitude limit and have it stay that
way regardless of what level I zoom to. It would be nice if this could be
done from the keyboard, but if I have to go into a data file each time I
make the change, I can live with that. Something like this was discussed
here before regarding other than stars, but I can't find a way to do it
with stars.

Also, is there a way to make the toggle "centered cross-hairs" symbol
bolder to be able to see them better on eclipse maps? Sometimes they get
cluttered.

If others interested in dT would like to try, the equation I'm trying
(tentatively) is: DELTA_T=-100000,1620:124,88.32,25.50
The y-intercept, 124, is set to connect to Guide's default dT at 1620. The
linear term, 88.32 is calculated from some earlier eclipse work, and I take
it as fixed. The acceleration term is 14" * T^2 = 25.50 seconds of time in
terms of the Moon's mean motion, and is considered the only variable.

I'd be interested in hearing of any pre-1620 eclipse observations in which
locations are _solidly_known_, and how they compare when using both Guide's
default dT and mine as given above.

Finally, I can't thank Bill enough for making Guide's dT user accessible.
In the past year I've made more progress than the previous fifteen. Without
that, I'd still be spinning my wheels!

Larry
--
http://www.got.net/~ldart