Re: [guide-user] feature request: telescope pad: two tone led marking operation

Christian Ambros Sep 23, 2017

Hi,

picgoto has at least three problems. First thing, it doesn't run on linux. Second, since it is a windows program it suffers the same issues that drove us away from windows (not realtime, not fully 64bit, no parallizing threads on system level, to heavy on resources etc). And third, it bases on ASCOM with poor INDI-Windows support. Guide 9.1 is able to talk to the telescope in LX200 code directly. No device server is needed. This makes it perfect for older hardware and people who don't want to get the knowledge to do better.

I'm on my way to have my own tracking system (hardware and software), with 0.2" moving accuracy at the sky shortly. We are achieving that by making use of 256th microstepping motion controllers with a linearity down to the 256th step with sensors which track if every single step was executed by the motor and correct that if it isn't done.
So it is not the point to have something different for moving the telescope. The point is, that Guide 9.1 is some kind of standard. It is easy to use with a low learning curve an it supports tracking devices like Sky Sensor 2000 via LX200 protocol directly.
These people I have to deal with won't by any new equipment, because they already spent much in the past. They want to use their equipment in standard configuration "as it was purchased". The only thing I can do, is to provide the most stable software solution.

Guide 9.1 runs smoothly and much faster on Linux with wine than on any windows system. It calculates most accurately and slews to that position so precisely that a targeted comet is within 20px of the image center. Have tried that with stellarium, kstars, cart du ciel an others but they failed. So there is no alternative.

I'm using Guide on a professional basis since Guide 6.0 and my installation now covers 183gb with offline catalogues incl USNO B1 and Gaia. No other program is able to do the job.

That's why I like to have such little indicator for the slewing action.

Of course one could mount a night vision camera outside the shack, but since it isn't mine, it's not my decision. As I am a programmer myself, I know that it is a very easy task to get such an indicator into the telescope pad.

cheers,
Christian

-- "A little learning never caused anyone's head to explode!" "Ein wenig Lernen hat noch niemandens Kopf zum Explodieren gebracht!"