Updating mpcorb.dat

Ted Blank Feb 24, 2017

I noticed that in my Guide 9, asteroid (834) Burnhamia was way out of the position it was predicted to be in for an upcoming occultation.

I tried going to "Extras -> Asteroid Comet options -> Add MPC comets / asteroids -> Click to download updated comet data and add it to Guide" several times, but things did not get any better.

I finally realized that my copy of mpcorb.dat was still dated 2013, so I manually downloaded the latest mpcorb.dat file from MPC, placed it into the asteroid folder, and all was well.

So I'm wondering why that option in Guide did not successfully download the file for me (didn't get any error msgs).

I also noticed that in Guide Help, clicking on the link at the top for Minor Planet Center (MPC) seems to be broken.

What is the link to "click to download updated comet data and add it to Guide" actually supposed to do?  If the answer is "download the latest mpcorb.dat" I guess that didn't work for me.

Thanks,
Ted