Re: [guide-user] Create star list with APASS data?

Bill Gray Sep 21, 2016

Hi Frank,

No, you aren't being dense. I see that I did something a little
dense here, though.

First off... you're seeing data from Tycho-2 (which uses the GSC
designation scheme). Bright stars are drawn from that dataset. So
what you're seeing there makes sense. The absence of UCAC data for
fainter stars, however, does not make sense.

That absence happens because if UCAC-4 is turned on, Guide's built-in
UCAC-3 data are turned off. The short-term fix is to turn UCAC-4 off.
Do that, and you'll get the "correct" mix of Tycho-2 and UCAC-3 data
in the Create Star List function. The medium-term fix is for me to
have Guide say: "If UCAC-4 stars are being shown on screen, don't
bother with UCAC-3. But if you're creating a list of stars, use
UCAC-3, because UCAC-4 table creation doesn't exist yet."

At this point, the only use Guide makes of GSC is if you use Go
To... Object Name and enter a GSC designation. (Or if you use Go To...
Star... Guide Star Catalog.)

-- Bill