Re: [guide-user] Like looking for stars with the KIC designation

Bill Gray Jul 8, 2016

Hmmm... I just did a bit of looking around for information on the
KIC (Kepler Input Catalogue). I found this :

https://archive.stsci.edu/pub/kepler/catalogs/

The 'kic.txt.gz' file looks to be what we need. It's about 761
MBytes in compressed form, and has data for about 13 million stars.
It is Version 10, the only version for which I've found any information.
The format is described at

http://tdc-www.harvard.edu/software/catalogs/kic.entry.html

The actual data is split up into files containing a one-degree high
zone. On the plus side, this means that access and display could be
quite fast. But the TDF could be a little complicated.

If anyone has a TDF for this dataset, please speak up... it could
be that somebody has mentioned doing this to me already and I'm not
finding it on my hard drive. If no TDF already exists, I'll take a
shot at it.

-- Bill