Time formats

Bill J. Gray Feb 13, 2001

Hi Truman,

I share your prejudice in favor of this system. I have to admit that
I did about 90% of the work for this, quite a long time ago. Then I
forgot about it and didn't finish it. Until I add a few controls for
it, you can do the following.

Edit the file STARTUP.MAR, and look for this line:

19 julian 0

By default, that value is (of course) zero, or 1 if you're using
the Julian calendar. However, you can reset it to be the sum of the
following values:

1 to switch to the Julian calendar
8 to put the month before the day
16 to put the year before the month and day
128 to show months as numbers (e.g., "05" instead of "May")

Examples for today's date:

Julian=0: 13 Feb 2001 (the default)
Julian=24: 2001 Feb 13 (what you were looking for)
Julian=16: 2001 13 Feb (not a likely combo, I admit!)
Julian=8: Feb 13 2001
Julian=128: 13 02 2001
Julian=152: 2001 02 13

As you might expect, the other bit values have meanings, too,
but most are only useful inside of Guide. Still, someone is
bound to want to know, so:

2 Show full seconds only (default is tenths of seconds).
4 Show hundredths of seconds.
6 (2 + 4) Show thousandths of seconds.
32 Show date only.
64 Show time only.
256 Show to nearest minute only.

You can see that this last is useful inside of Guide when, for
example, displaying a rise/set time.

-- Bill