Not able to get UCAC3 download to work with Guide 9.0

rbrbrts Sep 10, 2015

I've just reinstalled Windows 7 from scratch on my PC and have been going through the slow process of getting everything back up and running.

I have UCAC3 in an external folder shared by some other software. I also have UCAC4. I can get UCAC4 to work just fine, but when I turn it off, UCAC3 doesn't seem to work; my stars mostly disappear and any I click on are all labeled either as GSC or Tycho.

My guide.dat contains this (after the Alt-J thing to get this entered)

UCAC3_PATH=C:\Astronomy Catalogs\ucac3
UCAC4_PATH=C:\Astronomy Catalogs\ucac4

and that is where the data are. I can get it to work by copying the UCAC3 files from the Guide 9.0 DVD to my hard drive. I was trying to save a bit by having only one copy of the files. I notice that the Guide DVD files are different than the ones downloaded from Vizier, the Guide files all end with ".uc3", there are "x" and "y" files, and the "z" files are not the same size. I'm confused. I thought I just had to point at the downloaded UCAC3 directory and it would use the native format? (and no, the UCAC3 file are not still compressed).

roland