Re: [guide-user] New maps of Saturn's moons

Bill Gray Nov 11, 2014

Hi Richard,

Thanks for pointing these out...

Ideally, I'd have made it simple to add planetary maps to Guide.
The problem is that the tool I have to make them is a real nuisance
to use. It's a command-line program that requires a GIF of the
planet in equidistant cylindrical projection (a projection that's
commonly used for full-planet maps), with a long list of options
to handle the fact that some maps are south-up; some centered on
longitude 180, others longitude 0, some on oddball longitudes
such as 120, and things of that ilk.

I've done two of them :

http://projectpluto.com/temp/mimas.zip (about 887 KBytes)
http://projectpluto.com/temp/iapetus.zip (about 689 KBytes)

UnZIP these in your Guide folder, and Guide will display the
planets using those images. Should be able to do the other four
(Enceladus, Tethys, Dione, Rhea) in a bit... let me know if
you run into any issues with these two; I've just given them a
quick try and verified that features line up roughly where they're
supposed to. (I think the feature gazetteer may need to be
updated, too.)

-- Bill